Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Bench and Turkey

My friend T.F.Stern from T F Stern's Rantings left me a comment yesterday on my Jerky posting and I thought I could elaborate on it a bit.
T. F. Stern said...
"Ted, Just noticed that the piece of furniture is nearly identical to one we have. My folks gave it to us when they sold their Houston house and went to Florida."
7:27 PM

I decided to include a photo, sans the destroyed goodies, so readers would know what we were talking about.


This is what we call a New England bench and they are all basically the same except they are all hand painted so each is different. I don't know if there is another name for these benches. We were dropping clothing and some furniture off at our local Salvation Army store and decided to stroll around a bit, as we did. We frequently drop things off there but never go inside as I guess we were embarrassed to be seen shopping there or something. Glad we did as we picked up the bench for $25 or $30 and then we found 6 stools at $5 each for our eating bar in the kitchen. We had been looking for a long time for the right stools and there they were. I also found a goose down vest for work at about $3. We ring the bell for them at Christmas and through various fund raisers we work with, The Salvation Army is always on the top of the list. The Salvation Army provides screening services for recipients of Christmas presents our groups give. The Salvation Army provides screening services for us for food and financial help to the needy. By purchasing items from their store we provide working capital for paying the clerks and management to keep the store open. It is a win-win situation.

T.R.Stern, by having that bench just might prove that you are really displaced "Snow Bunnies" hiding out in Houston. Just an observation that the ex-cop, in me, brings out from time to time. Sorry.

No comments: