Monday, June 19, 2006

Summer is here

Two more days until the Summer Solstice and the 1st day of summer. Fathers Day has come and gone, Little League Baseball season is over and this week my wife and I celebrate 39 years of wedded bliss.

Sam’s last game was yesterday and he was the starting catcher. 98 degree temperatures and super high humidity soon took its toll on him in his catchers equipment, adding to that, the pitcher was wild and every pitch was a past ball with Sam having to run back to the backstop on every pitch. Sam called time and went to the coach and told him he didn’t feel very well. We soon had him in my truck headed for home with heat exhaustion. Clammy skin, very little sweating, slight temperature, dizzy and nauseous, flushed and a headache. Soon we were at my house, in front of the AC with a bottle of Gatorade and an aspirin in him. 30 minutes later he wanted to go back to the game but I wouldn’t take him back. His season was over.

I barbecued beef-ka-bobs for supper and a good time was had by all. The only problem was that we didn’t eat until 9, I made a pig of myself, along with a couple of beers so I didn’t sleep very well. I find that in old age I am much better eating early, like 5 or 6, and then I get a good nights sleep. At midnight I found myself downstairs watching HGTV on the tele.

The highlight of the evening was when Boo, the Black Lab, got into the house and took after Purrsey. At first Purrsey won as he attacked Boo lying on the sofa but then it was advantage Boo as they crashed through the house, around and around with everyone trying to catch them and then out onto the porch as Purrsey flew through Venetian blind and ended up clinging to the screen. Afterwards I found bits of white hair and a new tear on the screen but Purssey was OK.

1 comment:

Dua Frey said...

Lovelly post