Saturday, January 01, 2005

New Years Day

Hi Danya
Thanks for the New Years Greeting. Speaking of New Years ( I think this is called a segway). WOW, what a learning experience this is as I looked up the spelling of segway on Dictionary.com and I found the following: se·gue intr.v. se·gued, se·gue·ing, se·gues
Music. To make a transition directly from one section or theme to another.
To move smoothly and unhesitatingly from one state, condition, situation, or element to another: "Daylight segued into dusk" (Susan Dworski). Segway is spelled segue and pronounced segway. Never would of thought that.

Going forward, Speaking of New Years, we all made it to midnight. All 4 of us made it and we whooped and hollered along with New York City and then all went to bed. We had a great party, ate lots of great food, played games [I beat my grandson at Go Fish for the first time ever] and rang in 05 in high fashion. We even had a prayer by little Sam for his Nena's great Maple Walnut Bread which was passed down from her Nana. I had to agree.
FREDA'S MAPLE NUT CAKE FROM THE KITCHEN OF DALE DICKSON
INGREDIENTS

2/3 Cup of Crisco
2 cup light brown sugar
4 eggs
1 cup milk
3 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 cup walnut meats chopped
2 teaspoon vanilla
1] Cream Crisco with brown sugar
2] Add eggs , mix well and add milk
3] Sift together flour, salt and baking powder
4] Add to sugar and egg mixture
5] Add walnuts and vanilla
6] Bake in 5 small greased bread pans in 350 oven about 35 minutes

In case you are confused, Dale [my wife] is Nena and her mother is Freda or Nana. She (Nana)passed away 10 years ago and I am copying all of her recipe's from the back of envelopes, slips of paper etc. Onto 4x6 cards with her picture on them. We also have recipe's from Dale's Great Grandmothers, also with photo's. Neat project and not to bad for an old submarine sailor turned cop, turned contractor. Did I tell you I also bake pies?

It is 10 hours into the New Year and I am still keeping all of my resolutions. I have much more to say but I have to keep one of my resolutions alive by going down and signing up for painting lessons. Have a great 2005 from all of us!!


No comments: